Northern Michigan Sports Medicine Center is proud to be a community partner by providing Athletic Training Outreach to local high schools and various community organizations in Northern Michigan.
What is an ATC?
Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC) are health care professional who specialize in preventing, recognizing, managing and rehabilitating injuries that result from athletic activity. ATC’s possess a minimum of a BS degree from an accredited university and have successfully completed a certification exam through the NATABOC.
Facts about NMSMC ATC’s
- NMSMC is the largest employer of ATC’s in Northern Michigan
- NMSMC ATC’s have over 113 years of combined experience.
- NMSMC ATC’s provide clinical rehabilitation as well as outreach services to local high schools and community organizations.
- NMSMC is affiliated with various Universities in providing internship sites for Athletic Training Students.
ATC’s Areas of Expertise
- Athletic injury prevention and risk management
- Recognition, evaluation and assessment of athletic injuries and illnesses
- Immediate Care of athletic injuries
- Treatment, rehabilitation and reconditioning of athletic injuries
- Health care organization and administration
- Professional development and responsibility
Certified Athletic Trainer Contact Information
- Adam Ancel, MA, ATC
- PHS Training Room (231)348-2190
- NMSMC Petoskey (231)348-7950
Training Room Hours
- 2:00-6:00pm – Weekdays throughout the school year
- Fall Sports
- Football – Varsity, JV, Freshman, Junior High
- Volleyball- Varsity
- Boys Soccer – Varsity
- Winter Sports
- Boys Basketball – Varsity
- Girls Basketball – Varsity
- Wrestling – Varsity, JV
- Hockey – Varsity
- Spring Sports
- Girls Soccer – Varsity
- Boys and Girls Track – Varsity, JV
Charlevoix – Erika Edwards, AT
Cheboygan – Emily Wesolek, AT
Harbor Springs – Julie Slifka, AT
Inland Lakes – Mollie Coe, AT
Pellston – Toyo Ebato PT, AT
NMSMC has been an approved clinical internship site for Central Michigan University’s sports medicine athletic training program for over 15 years. We now have 3 clinical sites and high schools that have been approved by the CMU’s Health Professions Program to host athletic training students for their final internship. Charlevoix, Petoskey and Cheboygan.
We provide an excellent training ground for upcoming ATC’s due to our staffs expertise and specialty fields such as TMJ management, vestibular and balance training, manual therapy, incontinence, pediatrics, sport specific training, lumbar and sacral mobilization techniques.
Our students also have access to NMSMC’s outstanding sports enhancement branch which can expose them to many opportunities associated with their upcoming profession.
- Golf Fit
- Ski Fit and the Virtual Snow Machine
- Aquatic Therapy Classes
- Core classes and stabilization
- Inside Edge Hockey program
- EDGE - Strength and Conditioning Programs
- Peak Performance Programs
- Kayak class
- Sport of mothering
In addition to Central Michigan University, we also have hosted students for summer internships and observational opportunities from the following universities:
- Oakland University
- Grand Valley State University
- Lake Superior State University
- Michigan State University
- Eastern Michigan University
If you are interested in having NMSMC provide athletic training coverage for your school, athletic team or event please contact our Athletic Training Coordinator: