Balance & Falls – How Can Physical Therapy Help?
At SMC , our physical therapist use functional testing and performance oriented mobility assessment to evaluate level of balance. You physical therapy will be designed around your specific needs. Therapy may include:
- Exercise program to increase strength & flexibility
- Aquatic exercises to help increase your balance
- Develop safe transfer & walking techniques
- Work on ways to safely walk indoors & outdoors
- Educate you & your family on ways to prevent falls
- Assess & recommend home safety
- Visual Component: The ability to see objects which may challenge stability.
- Vestibular Component (inner ear): Tiny hairs in the semicircular canals of the inner ear that relay gravity and motion information to the brain. The sensors to tell your brain where your body is in space.
- Sensory Component: Receptors in the joints and skin tell your body where it is in space, and give the body information which helps keep it upright.